The flagship restaurant of a small group, run by Das Sreedharan - and in our opinion easily the best. It specialises in seafood and vegetarian dishes from the Kerala region of Southern India. The dining area consists of several small, exotically-decorated, rooms on the ground and first floors.
Few of the dishes on offer have familiar names, but the standard of cooking is high - perhaps begin with 'Chemmean Karumuru' (crunchy stir-fried prawns' or 'Deep-Fried Lentils, Cashew Nut and Spinach Patties'.
Follow with the likes of 'Kappayum Meenum' (smoked tamarind king fish); 'Varutharacha Meen' (tilapia fish in a buttery coconut sauce); 'Crab Varuthathu' (srir-fried with ginger, curry leaves, chilli and mustard seeds) or 'Thakkali Pal' (a sharp curry of tomatoes and coconut milk).
As well as various Kulfi's, there are various other desserts such as 'Baby Banana Pancakes with Cardamom' and 'Kesari' (semolina with mango and cashew nuts).
Service is friendly from waiters in flowing robes.
- Food Style: Indian Seafood
- Lunch: Mon-Sat 12.00-14.30, set L £22.50-£30; mains £6.50 to £12.95
- Dinner: all week, 6.00-22.30; set D £22.50-£30; mains £6.50 to £12.95
- Seats: 90
- Wine: a short, but adequate, list kicks off at £11.95
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Tottenham Court Road or Goodge Street Underground
- Directions: at the southern end of Charlotte Street. See the map at the top of the page
- Parking: Street parking
- Closed: L Sun; some Bank Holidays
- Air conditioned