Find this excellent restaurant, specialising in traditional British food, close to Borough Market. The airy dining room, with a good view of the market, has a buzzy feel, helped largely by the obvious enjoyment of the diners. Food has been carefully sourced, and old recipes researched. The main menu works its way around the country – a recent Yorkshire version brought ‘Black Pudding Hash’; ‘Herring Roes on Toast with Capers and Parsley’ and ‘York Ham with Leeks and Mustard Dressing’ among the starters.
‘Braised Beef Short Ribs with Roast Onions and Thyme’; ‘Braised Yorkshire Hare in Port with Oaty Dumplings’; ‘Baked Whole Trout with Leeks and Laverbread’ and ‘Parsnip Hash with Wensleydale Cheese’ among the mains.
As the name of the restaurants suggests, there are also traditional Roasts on offer; plus game in autumn and winter months.
Meals can finish with a Savoury – such as Welsh Rabbit or traditional puds such as fruit crumbles.
Breakfast (Mon-Fri 7.00-9.30; Sat 8.00-10.30) and Afternoon Tea (Mon-Fri) are other attractions; the ‘Full Borough’ of the former being a real feast including Ayrshire Streaky Bacon, Black Pudding, Cumberland sausage and much more.
Address: Floral Hall, Borough Market, Stoney Street, London
Postcode: SE1 1TL
Tel No: 020-7940 1300
Web site: www.roast-restaurant.com
Lunch: Sun-Fri, 12.00-14.30 (Sun 16.00); set L £18 (2 courses) to £21, set L £30; mains about £16 to £35 – Breakfast and less elaborate Bar menus are also available
Dinner: Mon-Sat, 17.30-22.30; set D £30
Closed: L Sat; D Sun; some Bank Holidays
Wine: an excellent list cover the world and kicks off in the early £20’s. There are also plenty of offerings by the glass
Children’s Helpings: Children’s Menu
Nearest train station: London Bridge Rail & Underground
Parking: Street parking
Outside eating: No
Wheelchair access: Yes, including lavatory
Directions: See the map at the top of the page.
- Food Style: British Traditional
- Lunch: Sun-Fri, 12.00-14.30 (Sun 16.00); set L £30; mains about £18 to £40 – Breakfast and less elaborate Bar menus are also available; set L Sun £38
- Dinner: Mon-Sat, 17.30-22.30; set D £30; mains £18 to £40
- Seats: 110
- Wine: an excellent list cover the world and kicks off in the mid £20's. There are also plenty of offerings by the glass
- Children's portions: Yes, on Saturday
- Wheelchair access: Yes, including lavatory
- Nearest station: London Bridge Rail & Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Street parking
- Closed: L Sat; D Sun; some Bank Holidays
- Air conditioned