A sibling of St John (q.v.), just down the road (but in a different post code) - this restaurant operation also sells top-quality bread and wine (don't eat here without leaving with some of their excellent sour dough). No frills food is carefully-prepared, and as it's only bought from the very best producers - in the main, delicious.
Because of its very nature, the food offered will be very seasonal; but perhaps start with the likes of 'Brown Shrimp with White Cabbage and Chervil'; 'Crispy Pig's Skin with Chicory and Aioli' or 'Salt Beef and Pickled Cucumber'.
Perhaps to be followed by 'Whole Crab with Mayonnaise'; 'Roast Forerib and Beetroot' or 'Venison Liver with Celeriac.
Desserts are again based on traditions, but hardly ever seen like these 'as a whole' - so you might find ' Eccles Cakes with Lancashire Cheese' and 'Rhubarb Eton Mess' nestling up with 'Apple Pie' and 'Hot Chocolate Pudding'. A few excellent artisan cheeses are offered in peak condition.
Breakfast dishes are offered from 9.00 Mon-Fri; 10.00 Sat & Sun, and include items such as 'Toast and Honey' and 'Middle-White Bacon Sandwich'.
Friendly and knowledgeable service is always at hand.
- Food Style: British Traditional
- Lunch: Mon-Fri 12.00-16.00, Sat & Sun 13.00-16.00, mains about £15 to £24
- Dinner: Sun & Mon 18.00-22.00, Tues-Sat 18.00-23.00, mains about £15 to £24
- Seats: 54
- Wine: a retail operation is run from the premises, when eating in, wines kick of in the mid £20's
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Liverpool Street Rail & Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Street parking
- Closed: 24th Dec to 2nd Jan; some Bank Holidays
- Air conditioned