Find television celebrity-chef's John Torade's enormous restaurant complex in a converted warehouse close to the eponymous market. A pre-prandial drink can be enjoyed in the first floor Cocktail Bar, which doubles as an excellent meeting place. The whole has an atmosphere that combines 'buzz' with the buildings industrial past.
The flagship Top Floor Restaurant offers an interesting menu, using carefully-sourced ingredients (some organic, others from rare breed varieties). So, depending on the season, you might expect to find 'Chilled English Pea and Mint Soup with a Parmesan Crisp'; 'Foie Gras Terrine, Baby Globe Artichoke and Toasted Brioche' or 'Salt and Pepper Squid with Roast Chili Dressing'; plus Rock Oysters and Caviar among the starters.
Maybe 'Roast Halibut with Lobster Mash and Parsley Sauce'; 'Rare-Breed Beef Ravioli with Parsnip Purée and a Foie Gras Sauce' or 'Soft Herb Gnocchi with a Cep Sauce and Parmesan' to follow.
Simple desserts, with clear flavours, might include 'Strawberries, Shortbread and Clotted Cream' and 'Chocolate Mousse with Chocolate Ice Cream'; or they also have excellent British cheeses from Neal's Yard.
The second floor Dining Room offers a less elaborate menu - including the likes of 'Chicken and Mushroom Pie' and 'Welsh Rib Steak'.
While, a ground-floor café/brasserie/bar operation opens at 9.00 for breakfast which ranges from English Muffins and Jam, through Sandwiches to a Full English Breakfast
- Lunch: Sun-Fri, 12.00-14.30; Top Floor mains £20 to £34; set L Sun £25 (2 courses), £29.50 (3 courses)
- Dinner: all week, 18.30-22.45; Top Floor mains £20 to £34
- Seats: 70, plus 30 outside
- Wine: an interesting list, strong on reds, kicks off in the high £20's, and offers an excellent selection by the glass
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, including lavatory
- Nearest station: Farringdon Rail & Underground
- Directions: opposite Smithfield Meat Market - see the map at the top of this page
- Parking: Snowhill NCP or street parking
- Closed: L Sat, some Bank Holidays
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating