Find this good 'restaurant with rooms, near the bottom of the High Street, in this pretty town, overshadowed by its castle. The two adjoining dining rooms are decorated in a modern minimalist manner, contrasting rather with the buildings history. The a la carte menu is divided into clear categories including light mains and savouries as well as the more familiar.Perhaps find 'Roasted Figs in Parma Ham'; 'Pan-Fried Wood Pigeon with Dressed Leaves and Puy Lentils' and 'Smoked Salmon Blinis with Sour Cream, Caviar and Smoked Salmon Mousse' among the starters.
'Steamed Fillets of Sea Bass with Soy Sauce, Ginger and Spring Onions'; 'Rack of Lamb in a Pine Nut Crust' and 'Honey and Balsamic Roast Parsnips with Spinach and Parmesan Risotto and a Poached Egg' among the mains.
Maybe ''Confit of Duck Leg' and 'Crab and Haddock Fishcake' among the lighter offerings.
Finish with 'Rhubarb Cheesecake'; 'Chocolate and Liquorice Pot'; 'Banana and Honeycomb Parfait or for the more savoury toothed 'Scotch Woodcock' or 'Platter of Three British Cheeses'.
Service is both professional and friendly.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Tues-Sat, 12.30-14.30; set L £14 (2 courses & a glass of wine)
- Dinner: Mon-Sat, 18.30-21.30; mains £16
- Seats: 34
- Wine: a well-thought-out and user-friendly list, is arranged by style. Prices are reasonable, and start at £14
- Children's portions: No children under 12 at Dinner
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory. Phone ahead for advice
- Nearest station: Arundel
- Directions: Near bottom of High Street. See the map at the top of the page.
- Parking: Street parking
- Closed: L Sun & Mon,24th to 27th Dec, 19th Feb to 4th March
- Rooms available