A Victorian country house hotel, set in a 44 acre estate, just north of Ashbourne. The intimate, candlelit, dining room has leaded light windows and deep-red décor giving the whole a romantic feel.
Ingredients are carefully-sourced and the menu concentrate heavily on fish; while also butchering its own meat and making its own sausages.
Expect to find the likes of 'Cream of Pumpkin Soup with Pumpkin Seeds and Crispy Croûtons'; 'Confit of Duck with a Rocket, Olive and Green Bean Salad and a Red Wine Jus' or (in season) 'Asparagus with Tomato Fondue, a Hot Gruyere Beignet and a Chive Beurre Blanc' among the starters.
Maybe follow with 'Roast Loin and Rack of Lamb with Moussaka, Rosemary and Honey Glaze'; 'Fillet of Cod with Leek, Mussels and Saffron Mash' or 'Asparagus and Girolle Mushroom Tian, with a Poached Egg and a Tomato and Herb Sauce' to follow.
Finish with something from the dessert trolley maybe 'Dark Chocolate Fondant with Raspberries and Chocolate Chip Ice Cream' or a 'Brandy Snap Basket of Prune and Brandy Ice Cream'. They also have a good selection of British and Continental Cheeses.
Friendly, professional service. No mobile phones.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Sun, 12.30-13.30; set L £20 (2 courses), £25 (3 courses), set L Sun £32 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Mon-Sat, 19.30-21.00; set D £42 (5 courses); mains about £18 to £25
- Seats: 70
- Wine: a good list, with modest mark-ups, is based on France, but also has interesting offerings from the Southern Hemisphere
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, including lavatory
- Nearest station: Belper Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page - or leave Ashbourne on the A515 towards Buxton. Turn left at the Bowling Green pub, then take the first right into Mappleton Road.
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: L Mon-Sat; check about Christmas openings
- Rooms available