A good restaurant/hotel, set in a Georgian building on the banks of the River Wye, in the heart of the Peak District. The comfortable, wood panelled, dining room is adjoined with a delightful conservatory where lighter dishes are served.
Chef John Whelan offers excellent dishes, some based on his time working in France.
Perhaps begin with Pan-Roasted Foie Gras with a Ginger, Apple and Pear Mousse; Spiced Scottish Salmon, Watercress Salad and Sesame Biscuit or Terrine of Confit Organic Chicken, Baby Artichoke, Piquillo Peppers and a Girolle Salad.
With maybe Pan-Roasted Fillet of Derbyshire Beef, Macaire Potatoes, Creamed Leeks and Shallots; Slow-Roast Confit Leg of Lamb, Braised Vegetables, Mint and Rosemary Gnocchi or Roast Vegetable Strudel, Olive Scented Potatoes and a Salad of Fresh Herbs to follow.
If you have room, finish with Valrhona Chocolate and Raspberry Tian with Raspberry Sorbet; Espresso Pannacotta or Warm Apple and Stilton Crumble
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: all week, 12.00-14.00; set weekday L £13 (2 courses); set L Sun £28.95; rest of week - mains £10.50 to £19
- Dinner: all week, 19.00-21.30; set D £45.95; mains £10.50 to £19
- Seats: 40, plus 10 outside
- Wine: a long list kicks off in the low £20's, with a selection of house wines which are also available by the glass
- Children's portions: No children under 16
- Wheelchair access: Yes, including lavatory
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: check Christmas openings
- Outside eating
- Rooms available