A splendid country house, built in the 17th century for the Hampden family; it has splendid Jacobean and Georgian features; and certainly a place to visit for that special occasion.
Chef Daniel Richardson makes full use of luxury ingredients, particularly of the fungal variety.
So expect the likes of 'Seared Scallops with Crispy Pork Belly, Warm Potato Salad and a Vermouth Sauce'; 'Carpaccio of Beef Fillet with Horseradish Pannacotta and Rocket Salad' and 'Pan-Fried Goats' Cheese and Orange Terrine with a Tomato Jelly and Red Pepper Jelly' among the starters.
Perhaps to be followed by 'Pan-Fried Fillet of Sea Bass on Dauphinoise Potatoes with Buttered Spinach, Girolle Mushrooms and a Port and Truffle Sauce'; 'Fillet of Sydenham Grange Beef with Creamed Potatoes, flavoured with Truffle Oil, Sprouting Broccoli and Sautéed Wild Mushrooms' or 'Poached Hen's Eggs in a Puff Pastry case with a Truffle Mash, Glazed Vegetables and Bearnaise Sauce'.
Desserts maintain the high standard, with maybe 'Lemon Soufflé with a Raspberry Sorbet' and 'Rhubarb Jelly Terrine with Madagascar Vanilla Pannacotta with a Crisp Ginger Bread and Vanilla Parfait Millefeuille' on offer - as well as their excellent selection of British farmhouse cheeses.
Formal, professional but friendly service.
No mobile phones; and no trainers, shorts or track suits.
- Food Style: Modern European
- Lunch: all week, 12.30-13.45; set L Mon-Sat from £26 (3 courses); plus a less ambitious Buttery menu; Sun L £28 (2 courses), £36 (3 courses)
- Dinner: all week, 19.30-21.45; set D from £25 (2 courses), £36 (3 courses); mains £34
- Seats: 60, plus 25 outside
- Wine: an enormous list, kicks off at around the £30 mark, but rises steeply after that. However, theres a good selection by the glass
- Children's portions: No children under 6
- Wheelchair access: Yes, including lavatory
- Nearest station: Aylesbury Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page. Situated 2 miles/3km south-west of Aylesbury on the A418 (towards Oxford)
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: check Christmas openings
- Outside eating
- Rooms available