A good cliff-top restaurant offering marvellous views over Christchurch Bay, towards the Needles and the Isle of Wight. The kitchen is under the direction of Pierre Chevillard, who for many years was chef at Chewton Glen (q.v.).
Although the interior is comfortable, to the point of being posh, the food on offer ranges from luxury sandwiches and gourmande salads to a full blown menu – on which seafood figures prominently.
Starters might include the likes of 'Breton-Style Fish Soup'; 'Twice Baked Smoked Haddock and Cheese Soufflé with Spring Onion Cream'; 'rofiteroles filled with Goats Cheese & Fine Herbs' and 'Assiette of Duck – home cured duck with thyme, duck ham with green peppercorns and a salad of shavings of foie gras'.
Mains perhaps 'Asparagus and Mushroom Risotto' (topped with a poached egg and Parmesan Crisp); 'Steamed Fillet of Brill and Seared Scallops with Rice Pasta and Baby Spinach, Tomato and Saffron Sauce'; 'Lamb Navarin' (tender pieces of lamb, braised with white wine, tomato and baby vegetables) – plus plenty from the Chargrill.
Desserts maintain the high standards with the likes of 'Mascarpone Pannacotta, with Poached Rhubarb, Pears and Strawberries'; 'Sticky Apple & Almond Pudding with Toffee Cider Sauce & Apple Sorbet' and 'Mint and Chocolate Parfait, Strawberry Salad and Shortbread'.
They also have a good selection of English and French cheeses, in peak condition.
Professional, friendly service.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: all week, 11.00-14.00 (Sat 15.00, Sun 12.00-15.00); main courses about £16 to £26; set L from £24.90 (2 courses); L Sun £14.95
- Dinner: all week, 18.00-21.30 (Fri & Sat 22.30); mains about £16 to £26
- Seats: 90, plus about 40 outside
- Wine: a concise, mainly French, list kicks off at around the £18 mark
- Children's portions: Yes,when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, including lavatory
- Nearest station: New Milton Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page - or from the A35, going west from Southampton, turn left down Barton Court Avenue after passing New Milton
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: D 25th Dec, D Jan 1st
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating
- Rooms available