Find this excellent restaurant in a grey stone building overlooking the garden of the luxurious Royal Crescent Hotel. Once you have completed the short walk from the hotel, you are returned to the stylish opulence of an earlier age. New Chef Gordon Jones offers a seasonal menu of carefully-sourced produce for his largely traditional audience.
So expect the likes of 'Seared Diver Scallops with Butternut Squash Purée and Infused Curry Oil'; 'Ham Hock Tortellini, Meaux Mustard and Caper Dressing and Smoked Garlic Cream' and 'Ministrone of Mussels with Bacon Dumplings and Fines Noodles' among the starters.
Perhaps 'Fillet of Beef with Creamed Leeks, Cabernet Sauvignon Shallot Jus'; 'Anjou Squab on Wilted Leaves, Bean Bean and Alfalfa Sprouts, Soya and Bacon Dressing' and 'Baked Seabass, Creamed Butter Beans, Ceps and Madeira Jus' among the mains.
Desserts aren't to be missed, with maybe 'Lavender Crème Caramel with Honeycomb Ice Cream' and 'Redcurrant Baked Alaska with Marinated Grapefruit and Grenadine Thyme Soup' on offer. Cheese lovers will be spoilt for choice with their selection of British and French cheeses.
Professional, friendly service.
Smart dress required.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: all week, 12.30-14.00; set L £18 (2 courses), £23.50 (3 courses); set L Sun £35 (3 courses)
- Dinner: all week, 19.00-22.00; set D £50 (2 courses) £60 (3 courses); Vegetarian menu £45 (3 courses)
- Seats: 60, plus 45 outside
- Wine: an excellent list kicks off at about £20 and has some choice under the £30 mark
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not including lavatory
- Nearest station: Bath
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Closed: check Christmas openings
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating
- Rooms available