A smart and excellent restaurant set in a Georgian square in the town centre. Chef/proprietor Christopher Astley's style of cooking allows clear flavours to shine through, without the clutter of too many ingredients.
So expect the likes of 'Lightly-Spiced King Prawns'; 'Thai-Style Crab Cake with Chili Mayonnaise' and 'Confit of Gressingham Duck with an Apple and Calvados Sauce' among the starters.
Maybe 'Wild Mushroom Ravioli with Parmesan Cream'; 'Corn-Fed Chicken and Black Pudding with White Wine and Tarragon Cream' and 'Halibut with Hollandaise' among the mains.
If you have room, finish with 'Malted Crème Brulée with a Bitter Chocolate Sorbet', 'Blueberry Frangipane Tart with Vanilla Ice Cream' or some of their local cheeses.
A first floor lounge bar, makes a relaxing place for a pre-prandial drink.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Sun, 12.00-14.00; set L £24.25 (3 courses); mains £13.75
- Dinner: Tues-Sat, 19.00-21.15; set D £25.00 (3 courses); mains £13.75
- Seats: 32
- Wine: a well-thought-out list covers the globe, and kicks off at £15.95
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Knaresborough or Thirsk
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page. Opposite the fountain in the town square
- Parking: Street parking
- Closed: L Mon-Sat; D Sun; some Bank Holidays