What was once the Blue Boar pub, then The Crab – is now The Crab & Boar.
The menu changes seasonally, a Spring example listing ‘Cornish Crab with Sweet Chili, Cucumber & Apple’; ‘Mussels Mariniere’; ‘Game Terrine with Pickled Shallots & Beetroot’; ‘Blue Cheese Soufflé with Buttered Broccoli’ and ‘Crispy Squid with Sweet Chili Salsa’ among the starters.
Perhaps ‘Stone Bass & Octopus with Butternut Squash, Cauliflower & Spinach’; ‘Scottish Brill & Dee-Fried Cockles with Romanesco, Salsify & Samphire’; ‘Loin of Venison & Pie with Heritage Potatoes, Celeriac & Cavolo Nero’ – plus Steaks and other items from The Grill.
If you still have room, finish with ‘Custard & Date Tart with Rum & Raisin Ice Cream’; ‘Chocolate Cremosa with Hazelnuts & Salted Caramel’ or ‘British and French Cheeses’.
Booking is strongly advised, but essential at the weekend.
- Food Style: Seafood
- Lunch: all week, 12.00-14.30 (Sun 12.00-15.00); Mon-Sat set L £15.95 (2 courses) to £19.95; mains about £17 to £26; Sun Roasts from about £15
- Dinner: all week, 18.00-22.00; set D (between 18.00 & 19.00 only) £15.95 (2 courses) to £19.95; mains about £17 to £26
- Seats: 80, plus about 30 outside
- Wine: a concise list kicks off at around the £20 mark
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Newbury Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page - or leave the M4 at junction 13 to Chievley, then take the B4494 towards Wantage
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: check Christmas openings
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating
- Rooms available