What was once the Blue Boar pub, is now a very popular seafood restaurant; with a few options for carnivores.
The dining rooms are bedecked with netting and marine artefacts - giving no allusions to what's on offer - fish coming on a daily-basis from Devon and Cornwall. To say helpings are generous is an understatement, and there also tends to be an over-heavy reliance on items such as wasebi/horseradish (perhaps to flavour mayonnaise) and various salsa's - making the whole rather like a easy to serve production line for the kitchen.
However, the end result works well - even if flavours can be a little robust.; but there can be no doubt, that the end product is extremely popular!
Expect the likes of 'Cornish Crab with Wasabi Mayonnaise'; 'Galloway Smoked Salmon with Blinis and Horseradish Cream' and 'Crispy Squid with Sweet Chili Salsa' among the starters.
Perhaps 'Sole Goujons with Ratte Potatoes and a Lemon Salad'; 'Wild Sea Bass Fillet with Seared Ceps, Crusted Sweet Potato and Parmesan Butter'; and 'Fruits de Mers' (either cold with mayo or hot with garlic butter).
Sides include 'Goose Fat Chips', which are seldom seen outside south-west France.
If you still have room, finish with 'Sticky Toffee Pudding'; 'Brioche Bread and Butter Pudding' or 'British and French Cheeses with Sourdough'.
A less elaborate menu is offered in their Fish Bar, plus Barbecues in fair weather.
Booking is strongly advised, but essential at the weekend.
- Food Style: Seafood
- Lunch: all week, 12.00-14.30 (Sun 12.00-15.00); Mon-Sat set L £15.95 (2 courses) to £19.95; mains £16 to £38; set L Sun £14.50 (1 course), £19.50 (2 courses), £22.50 (3 courses)
- Dinner: all week, 18.00-22.00; set D (between 18.00 & 19.00 only) £15.95 (2 courses) to £19.95; mains £16 to £38
- Seats: 80, plus about 30 outside
- Wine: a concise list kicks off at around the £20 mark
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Newbury Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page - or leave the M4 at junction 13 to Chievley, then take the B4494 towards Wantage
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: check Christmas openings
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating
- Rooms available