This 19th century country inn has been completely refurbished, and now has an excellent restaurant specialising in local products as well as having a bustling bar. The dining room as a relaxing but minimalist feel and nicely-spaced tables; making the whole ideal for that special occasion.
Expect the likes of 'Freshwater Crayfish Risotto'; 'Grilled Goats Cheese Salad' and 'Buckminster Pigeon Breast on Toast' among the starters.
Perhaps 'Sirloin of Beef with Wild Mushrooms and Mash'; 'Grilled Sea Bass with Basil Mash and Baby Chorizo Sausage'; 'Confit Hare Pithivier with Roasted Apples' and 'Tomato, Aubergine and Mozzarella Tart' among the mains.
Desserts maintain the high standard, with the likes of 'Apple and Stilton Tart'; 'Hot Chocolate Pudding with Pistachio Ice Cream' and 'Lemon Pannacotta with Blackberry Compote' on offer. The more savoury-toothed will enjoy their selection of farmhouse cheeses.
A less ambitious bar menu is also offered.
Friendly, but professional service.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Tues-Sun 12.00-14.00 (Sun 15.00); mains about £9 to £18
- Dinner: Weds-Sat 18.30-21.00; mains about £9 to £18
- Seats: 50, plus 30 outside
- Wine: a good list travels the world, and has modest mark-ups
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Grantham or Melton Mowbray Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: Sun D, all Mon, some Bank Holidays
- Outside eating
- Rooms available