Find this good restaurant in a former cotton mill overlooking the River Derwent. The dining room is decorated in a sophisticated manner with leather and suede and the decked terrace has splendid views of the river. Making the whole an ideal place for a special occasion.
Chef/proprietor Jonathan Hobson sources as much as he can locally, and his style of cooking doesnt over-complicated matters so allows the flavour of each ingredient to shine out.
So expect the likes of Gravadlax of Tuna, Lime Dressing, Pickled Ginger; Glazed Pork Belly, Apple Purée and a Grain Mustard Rémoulade and Sweet Pea Soup with Smoked Haddock Rarebit among the starters.
Perhaps to be followed by Rib-Eye of Beef, Onion Tart, Cocotte Potatoes, and Guinness Sauce; Fillet of Brill with a Peanut Crust, Crushed Spinach Potatoes and a Red Wine Sauce or Breast of Free-Range Chicken, Seared Scallops and a Watercress Sauce.
Finish with Dark Chocolate Tart with Banana Ice Cream; Raspberry Soufflé with Lime Sorbet or Local Cheeses with Chutney and Home-Made Bread.
No mobile phones
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.00; set L £19.95 (2 courses) to £22.95; mains about £20 to £23; set L Sun £25 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 19.00-21.30; mains about £20 to £23; Tasting Menu £50 (7 courses)
- Seats: 60, plus 12 outside
- Wine: a short list covers the world and kicks off at around the £18 mark
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Derby Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page - or take the A6 (Duffield Rd) from Derby. After 1 mile turn right into Mileash Lane, down to Old Lane. Turn right, go over a bridge youll find the restaurant on the right.
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: D Sun; 2 weeks after Christmas; some Bank Holidays
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating