Find this bustling pub, boasting original flagstone floors, a bread oven and open fireplaces. The standard of cooking is high so booking is absolutely essential. The 'Shed' restaurant has higher ceilings, and a more formal feel to the rest of the inn.Chefs have come and gone over recent years, but the ownership has stayed the same, and the general high standard maintained.
Chef Clive Jory offers a menu to both challenge any kitchen and bring excitement to diners. Much of his produce being sourced locally and some organic. Making quite a feature of their excellent 'Longhorn' beef, which turns up at each stage (including a club sandwich, which is offered at lunchtime).
For starters, expect the likes of 'Lightly-Pickled Chesil Beach Mackerel, Crunchy Vegetables, Aioli and Pink Fir Apple Potatoes'; 'Braised Lonhorn Oxtail, Cashmoor Quail Egg and Sour Cherry Terrine, Griddled Tomato and Thyme Bread' and 'Grilled Portabella Mushroom, Wilted Rocket and Ruby Chard, plus a Poached Duck Egg'.
Perhaps follow with 'Veal T Bone, Exmoor Blue Boulangere, and Purple Sprouting Broccoli'; 'Herb-Crusted Rack of Dorset Horn Lamb, Fondant Potato and Ratatouille' or 'Grilled Lemon Sole, Glazed Salsify, Saffron Cocotte Potatoes, Tomatoes and Chives'.
Desserts maintain the high standard having maybe 'Citrus Lemon Tart, Berry Compote and Mascarpone' and 'Bread and Butter Pudding with Vanilla Ice Cream and Custard' among their number.
There are also excellent West Country Farm-House Cheeses, served with Quince Paste, to tempt you.
Service is both friendly and professional. No mobile phones in dining room.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.00 (Sat & Sun 14.30); mains about £14 to £23
- Dinner: all week 19.00-21.30; mains about £14 to £23
- Seats: 90, plus 24 outside
- Wine: an excellent list, based around France, offers good value, and includes some prestigious bottles
- Children's portions: No children under 5
- Wheelchair access: Yes, including lavatory
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Street parking
- Closed: check Christmas openings
- Outside eating
- Rooms available