What was a local inn, dating from the early 16th century, this Grade II listed building is now one of the best restaurants in the area. The comfortable dining room has dark beams, crisp white napery and smart table settings but overall, the atmosphere is relaxing - so perfect for that special occasion.
Chefproprietor Paul Yaxley offers modern dishes and combinations using as much local produce as possible.
So expect to find the likes of Crab and Hazelnut Raviolo with Crushed Parsnips and a Pink Grapefruit Sauce; Smoked Chicken, Ham Hock and Foie Gras with Beetroot Mousse, Lambs Lettuce and Toasted Focaccia and Goats Cheese Filo Tart with Caramelised Onions, Fennel, Cashew Nuts and Black Olve Oil among the starters.
While possibly Fillet of Halibut on a Fondant Potato with Smoked Mackerel Raviolo, Leeks, Swede and Horseradish Velouté; Loin of Lamb with an Artichoke and Potato Millefeuille , Braised Lamb, Swiss Chard and a Rosemary Jus and Celeriac, Potato and Truffle Gratin, with Artichokes, Wild Mushrooms, Sprouting Broccoli, Pickled Apples and a Red Wine Vinaigrette among the main courses.
Perhaps finish with Crème Brulée with Blood Orange Sorbet, and a Cashew Nut Tuile; Pineapple Tarte Tatin with Lemongrass and Lime Leaf Ice Cream with Spiced Red Wine Syrup or their selection of farm house cheeses with apple and plum chutney.
Service is both friendly and professional.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Tues-Sun 12.00-14.00; set L weekday £14.95 (2 courses) to £18.95; set L Sun £19.50 (2 courses), £23.95 (3 courses); mains from about £9.50 to £19
- Dinner: Tues-Sun 19.00-20.30 (Sun 18.30-20.15); set D £25 (2 courses), £32 (3 courses); Tasting Menu £42; mains about £12 to £19
- Seats: 48, plus 18 outside
- Wine: an interesting list focuses heavily on the Southern Hemisphere and has modest mark-ups
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible, but no children under 9 at dinner
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Diss Rail
- Directions: in the centre of village, next to the church. See the map on this page.
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: all Sun & Mon; some Bank Holidays
- Outside eating
- Rooms available