An excellent country pub, near Whitby, with glorious views over the moors and sea. It is notoriously hard to find, but worth the effort.
The kitchen offers excellent food, cooked by chef/proprietor Jason Davies, and his short menu is displayed on a blackboard.
Although the food offerings change on a daily basis, expect the likes of 'Roast Langoustines with Chili and Fennel'; 'Seared Scallops with Borlotti Beans, Wild Rocket & Red Chili'; 'Pan-Fried Lambs Kidneys with Puy Lentils' and 'Feta, Beetroot and Rocket Salad' the starters.
Perhaps 'Pan-Fried Halibut with Braised Peas and Lettuce'; 'Seared Sea Bass Fillet with Crushed Potatoes, Swiss Chard & Salsa Verde'; 'Char-Grilled Chump of Lamb with Chick Peas and Root Vegetables' and 'Rib-Eye Steak with Chips and Bearnaise Sauce' among the mains.
Local fish is much to the fore - and expertly handled.
Finish with the dessert of the day - perhaps 'A Sliver of Dark Chocolate Truffle Cake with Orange Ice Cream' or 'Pistachio & Almond Cake with Crème Fraiche' or local cheese.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Dinner: Weds-Sat 18.30-20.30; mains about £16 to £24
- Seats: 30, plus 16 outside
- Wine: an interesting list displayed on a board, kicks off at about £14
- Nearest station: Sleights Rail (5 miles)
- Directions: just off the A174 - see the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: L all week, D Sun to Tues, some Bank Holidays
- Outside eating