A 17th century inn which has bee sympathetically renovated by Simon and Caitlin Heaton. There has been a mill on the site since the early 14th century, and the existing building was a still used as a corn mill until 1890, when it was sold to Websters brewery.
Although still a pub - there's a cosy bar where you can just enjoy a drink - food (or an overnight stay) is the raison d'etre for most, when visiting. A good bar menu complements more serious eating.
The kitchen offers an ambitious menu with the likes of 'Ballontine of Local Chicken, filled with Chorizo, and a Chicory and Sesame Salad'; 'Poached & Sautéed Wood Pigeon Breasts with Asparagus, Jersey Royals & Nettle Hollandaise'; 'Seared King Scallops with Butternut Squash Cannelloni and Lime Hollandaise' and 'Gravadlax with Sour Cream and Blinis' among the starters.
Perhaps 'Braised English Lamb Shank with Green Herb Risotto and Lambs Kidneys'; 'Pan-Fried Goosnargh Chicken Breast with Cannelloni of Celeriac & Wild Mushrooms, Sautéed Artichokes & Albufera Sauce'; 'Pan-Fried John Dory and Plaice Fillets with Horseradish Rémoulade and Beetroot Dressing' and 'Gloucester Old Spot Pork Chop with Sage Mash and Shallot Sauce' among the mains.
If you still have room, depending on the season, you might be tempted by 'Apple Jelly with Toffee Ice Cream'; 'Sugar-Glazed Lemon Tart with Raspberry Purée & Sesame Seed Tuile'; 'Rhubarb Cheesecake with Pink Ginger' or their selection of Yorkshire cheeses.
If you're in a hurry - mention this when ordering.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Mon-Sat 12.00-14.00; set L £13.50 (2 courses), £16.50 (3 courses); Sun 12.00-19.30; mains about £17 to £19. A Bar Menu is also offered
- Dinner: Mon-Fri 18.00-21.30; Sat 18.00-21.30; Sun 12.00-19.30; set Early D (Mon-Thurs 17.30-19.00) £13.50 (2 courses), £16.50 (3 courses); mains about £17 to £19
- Seats: 70, plus 60 outside
- Wine: an interesting list kicks off at around the £16 mark, they also offer an impressive selection by the glass
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: with difficulty, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Halifax Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page.
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: check Christmas openings
- Outside eating
- Rooms available