This 14th century thatched inn houses what has become a true destination restaurant. As far as atmosphere is concerned, you travel back in time with the buildings flagstone floors, low beams and open fires. What the kitchen offers, however, is bang up to date balancing modern menu ideas with top-quality local produce.Expect the likes of 'Grilled Black Pudding with Pan-Fried Foie Gras, Pickering Watercress, Apple and Vanilla Chutney, with a Scrumpy Reduction'; 'Salad of Mulled-Wine-Poached Pear with a Salad of Yorkshire Blue Cheese and Baby Spinach, Hazelnut Pesto' and in winter 'Risotto of Local Red Leg Partridge with Braised Chestnuts and Wilted Curly Kale and White Truffle' among the starters.
Perhaps 'Pan-Fried Calves Liver and Bubble and Squeak, Buttered Brussel Sprouts, Crispy Saddleback Bacon and Rich Onion Gravy'; 'Pan-Fried Middle Baxton Fillet Steak with Bone Marrow Butter, Deep-Fried Chunky Chips and Blue Wensleydale and Watercress Salad' and 'Lasagne of Local Rabbit with Baby Spinach, Black Trumpet Mushrooms, Mozzarella Salad and White Truffle Oil' among the mains.
Local game figures prominently when in season.
Maybe finish with 'Chocolate and Lavender Torte'; 'Raspberry Bakewell Tart with Mulled Cherries' or excellent local cheeses.
A shop over the road, sells many of the excellent products produced in the kitchen. See our 'Shop' section.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Tues-Sat 11.30-14.00; Sun 12.00-18.00; mains £15 to £23; plus a selection of luxury sandwiches and other snack items
- Dinner: Tues-Sat 18.30-21.30; mains £15 to £23
- Seats: 100, plus 50 outside
- Wine: an enormous, and interesting list, kicks off with a large choice of wine available by the glass
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Norton
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page - or from the A170, between Thirsk and Pickering, take a turning south sign-posted Wombleton, you will shortly reach Harome. If coming from other directions, see their web site.
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: D Sun; all Mon; check Christmas openings
- Outside eating
- Rooms available