This comfortable hotel, an excellent place to stay if exploring nearby James Herriot country, has a top-class restaurant, which draws food lovers in from many miles around. This is helped by the relaxing dining room with its stylish conservatory.
Chef Simon Kelly offers an interesting menu, drawing on the best produce from around Britain. His starters might include the likes of 'Wild Mushroom Consommé with Truffle Ravioli'; 'Pan-Fried Scallops, Crisp Fennel Salad and Curied Crème Fraiche' and 'Pan-Fried Foie Gras, Pink Grapefruit, Beansprouts and a Lime Dressing'.
Mains, perhaps, 'Roast Halibut, Sun-Dried Cherry Tomato Tagliatelle, and Lemongrass Cream'; 'Poached Guinea Fowl, Roast Garlic Gnocchi, Apple Fondant and Walnuts'; 'Pot-Roast Lamb Heart Stuffed with Kidneys and Orange' and 'Hampshire Pork Belly, Braised Red Cabbage and Horseradish Foam'.
Desserts are also of a high standard, with maybe 'Glazed Lemon Tart with Blackberries and Raspberry Sorbet' or 'Chocolate and Five Spice Mousse, Cinnamon Ice Cream and Fig Compote' on offer. Or you might be tempted by their selection of farmhouse cheeses.
Children have their own interesting menu.
Friendly, professional service.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.00 (Sun 13.00-15.00); mains £12 to £22.00; set L Mon-Fri from £27.50 (2 courses); set L Sun £19.50 (2 courses), £25 (3 courses)
- Dinner: all week 19.00-21.30; set D £45 (3 courses); Tasting Menu £55; mains £18 to £24
- Seats: 75, plus 30 outside
- Wine: an interesting list kicks off in the mid £20's
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible, plus their own menu at lunchtime & during the early evening
- Wheelchair access: Yes, including lavatory
- Nearest station: Thirsk or York
- Directions: from Thirsk, take the A170 to Hemsley. See the map at the top of this page.
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: check Christmas opening
- Outside eating
- Rooms available