Find this excellent restaurant near the weir and overlooked by the spectacular Humber Bridge. The smart, but intimate dining room, candlelit at night, makes this the ideal destination for that special occasion.
After an amuse bouche, chef/proprietor Richard Johns produces a short constantly-changing menu. Depending on the season, this might include the likes of 'Asparagus Tart with a Poached Duck Egg and Parmesan Shavings'; 'Pan-Fried Scottish Scallops with a Granny Smith Apple Purée and Truffle Dressing' and 'Honey-Roast Duck Salad' among the starters.
Perhaps 'Fillet of Sea Bass with Champ, Seasonal Vegetables and Brown Butter Sauce'; '10 hour Braised Local Free-Range Pork, with a Cider Apple Reduction' and 'Roast Rump of Lamb with Chestnut Mushrooms, Buttered Greens and a Red Wine Sauce' among the mains.
Finish with 'Belgian White Chocolate and Cointreau Pot with Raspberries, Chocolate Sauce and White Chocolate Ice Cream'; 'Hot Passion Fruit Sorbet with Passion Fruit Sorbet' or their selection of British farm house cheeses.
Front of house is expertly run by Lindsey Johns.
They will also open for lunch for groups, by special arrangement.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Fri & last Sun of each month 13.00-14.00; set Sun L from £21 (2 courses), £26 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Weds-Sat from 19.15; set D £50
- Seats: 18
- Wine: a short, but well-chosen list kicks off at around the £22 mark
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Hessle Rail
- Directions: See the map at the top of this page.
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: all Mon & Tues, 2 weeks Jan, 1 week Easter
- Air conditioned