Find this delightful country house hotel/restaurant at the end of an avenue of lime trees, 12 miles south-east of Nottingham.
Comforts abound and include the dining room and Garden room making this a relaxing place for a meal or extended stay. The kitchen sources as many of its produce locally as is possible (lamb being their own). While many of the vegetables come from the extensive kitchen garden; fish is delivered daily from Brixham and pork from free-range pigs fed on Stilton whey!
Expect the likes of Warm Salad of Wood Pigeon and Rocket with Roast Shallot; Grilled Local Skylarks Goats Cheese with Rhubarb Compote in a Filo Tartlet and Grilled Scottish Langoustines with Garlic Herb Butter among the starters.
Perhaps Roast Duck Breast and Confit Leg, Petits Pois Bonne Femme, Blood Orange Sauce; Cushion of Veal, Potato Galette and Caper Parsley Sauce; and Grilled Dover Sole, Crushed New Potatoes, Purple Sprouting Broccoli and Lemon Butter Sauce among the mains.
Finish with Chocolate Plate chocolate brownie, white chocolate mousse, Malteser ice cream and mint and chocolate sorbet; Caramelised Apple Pain Perdue with Vanilla Ice Cream or their selection of cheeses including Colston Bassett, Cropwell Bishop and Long Clawson Stiltons.
A lighter - all day - menu is also offered in the Garden Room. This includes full Afternoon Tea.
- Food Style: British Traditional
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.00; set L Mon-Sat £16.50 (2 courses); mains about £14 to £23; set L Sun £35
- Dinner: all week 19.00-21.30; set D Tues-Fri £25 (2 courses) to £30; set D Sat £34.50 (2 courses) to £39.50 (3 courses); mains about £14 to £26
- Seats: 60, plus 20 outside
- Wine: a good list, strong on France, kicks off at around the £20 mark
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, including lavatory
- Nearest station: Aslockton Rail
- Directions: in the village centre, behind the church. See the map on this page.
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: check Christmas openings
- Outside eating
- Rooms available