A comfortable modern dining room is hidden behind the traditional façade of 3 York Place. The long narrow room is smartly-furnished, being revamped during 2006.
The cooking is accomplished with starters such as 'Gateaux of Crab and Prawns with a Spicy Tomato Sauce'; 'Grilled Black Pudding with Caramelised Apples' and 'Macaroni of Queen Scallops and Caviar' setting the style.
Perhaps to be followed by 'Braised Shoulder of Lamb with Pea and Mint Purėe, Rosemary Roast Potatoes and Tomato and Basil Jus'; 'Pan-Fried Escalope of Calf's Liver, Pomme Purėe, Braised Cos Lettuce and Sauce Diable' or 'Steamed and Stuffed Fillet of Sea Bass with Buttered Asparagus and Vermouth Cream'.
Fresh fish and seasonal game figure prominently.
Finish with 'Hot Chocolate Tart with Milk Ice Cream'; 'Crème Brulėe with Rhubarb and Apple Compote' or their selection of English and French cheeses with Grape Chutney and Toasted Sultana and Walnut Bread'.
Professional service includes the help of a sommelier.
- Lunch: Mon-Fri 12.00-14.00; set L £14.50 (2 courses) to £18.50; mains £13 to £21
- Dinner: Mon-Sun 18.30-22.00; set D £18.30-19.30 (Mon-Fri between 18.30-19.30 only) £14.50 (2 courses) to £18.50; mains £13 to £19
- Seats: 46
- Wine: a good list is usefully-arranged by variety. Prices start at £14.00
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, including lavatory
- Nearest station: Leeds City
- Directions: in the city centre, close to the railway station
- Closed: L Sat & Sun; 25th Dec to 4th Jan