A classy restaurant in a rather splendid corner-site building. The dining and bar areas are comfortable and modern, with undressed tables, but a chic feeling. Its a popular refuelling with upmarket shoppers and theatre-goers.
The main menu offers modern dishes with starters such as Seared Scallops with Butternut Squash Purée and Beetroot Foam; Pan-Fried Rabbit and Cauliflower Purée with Tomato, Haricot Blanc and Quail Egg and Salmon three ways smoked, with blinis; poached with rouille and tartare with new potato all beautifully presented.
Maybe follow with Orkney Beef three ways roast fillet, braised shin and oxtail jus with horseradish mash; Poached Crab and Brill Roulade with Lobster and Garlic Papperdelle or Roast Goosnargh Chicken with Butternut Squash, Black Pudding, Apple and Lancashire Blue Cheese Cream.
If you still have room, you might be tempted by Chocolate and Pear Terrine with Pear Samosas and Caramel Sauce; Rose Water Parfait with Turkish Jelly and Strawberry Cream or their selection of British cheeses.
Their splendid breakfasts make an ideal setting for business meetings.
Service is both friendly and professional.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Mon-Fri Breakfast from 9.00 £12 for full English. Lunch from 12.00-14.30; mains £15 to £20 – plus all day Bar Menu
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 18.30-21.00 (Fri & Sat 21.30); mains about £15 to £20
- Seats: 65
- Wine: a good list has modest mark-ups
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Directions: See the map on this page.
- Parking: Street parking
- Closed: L Sat; all Sun; Bank Holidays
- Air conditioned
- Rooms available