Find this stylish restaurant behind a Georgian façade. As well the excellent ground floor restaurant, theres a less formal bistro, housed in the basement which offers an all-day menu.
In the main event, starters include the likes of Confit of Duck Ravioli with Cos Lettuce; Braised Mussels in a Creamy Madras Sauce; Tian of Cured Salmon with Cucumber Crème Fraiche and Antiboise Dressing and Garstang Blue Cheese Soufflé with Pear and Walnut Salad.
Depending on the season, Roast Saddle of Rabbit with Bury Black Pudding, Braised Puy Lentils and Liquorice Jus; Pan-Fried Fillet of Sea Bass with Herb Risotto Cake and a Saffron Beurre Blanc and Roast Rump of Swaledale Lamb with Crème de Barry and Caper Dressing set the style for mains.
If you have room, finish with Caramelised Apple Tart with Brown Sugar Ice Cream; Chocolate and Vanilla Cheesecake or one of their signature dishes Deep-Fried Jam Sandwich with Carnation Milk Ice Cream.
For those with a more savoury tooth, they have a good selection of British and Irish Cheeses.
Friendly, professional service.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Mon-Fri 12.00-14.30; set L £15.95 (2 courses) to £18.95; mains £13 to £29
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 18.00-22.30; set D 18.00-19.00 £15.95 (2 courses) to £18.95; mains £13 to £29
- Seats: 90, plus 15 outside
- Wine: a concise list kicks has modest mark-ups
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Directions: close to the cathedrals
- Parking: Street parking
- Closed: L Sat, all Sun, some Bank Holidays
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating