A pub, with flagstone floors, beams and winter log fires, worth seeking out for its good food if youre nearby. The candlelit tables give it a romantic feel.
Chef/proprietor, Sarah Jeffery, offers the likes of Smoked and Fresh Salmon Rosti Cake and Hotpot of Lambs Kidneys and Mushrooms among the starters.
Perhaps Escalope of Pork Fillet Stuffed with Mozzarella, Basil and Anchoies with a Mushroom and Marsala Sauce; Cod on a Chili and Chorizo Risotto and Gloucester Old Spot Belly Pork with Roasted Root Vegetables and a Cider Reduction among the mains.
If you have room, Vanilla Cheesecake with Morello Cherries or Rum and Raisin Crème Caramel might tempt you.
Service can be very stretched at busy times, and its not unknown for customers to be asked to move and take their coffee at another table. So perhaps take care to avoid busy periods. Dont automatically dismiss their good bar menu options.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Tues-Sun; Bar Menu Only
- Dinner: Tues-Sat 19.00-21.30; mains about £16 to £26. A Bar Menu is also available
- Seats: 42
- Wine: an interesting list kicks off at around the £18 mark
- Children's portions: No children under 12
- Nearest station: Beverley Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: L Sat, all Sun & Mon; check Christmas openings