Find this restored pub/brasserie/restaurant between the town and Saddleworth Moor. Choose between the pub/brasserie, with open winter fires and a smart restaurant. The former offers an extensive menu stretching from Open Sandwiches through their own 'Saddleworth' sausages with Mash to Roast Gressingham Duck Breast and Fillet of Haddock in Beer Batter.
While the restaurant is more serious, with maybe 'Caramelised Ham Shank Terrine with Peas and Foie Gras'; 'Celeriac Velouté with Mustard Broad Beans' and 'Seared Scallops with Smoked Pepper and a Tapenade Crouton' among the starters.
Perhaps 'Pan Roast Fillet of Welsh Black Beef with Beetroot Glaze, Creamed Leeks, Asparagus and Maxim Potatoes'; 'Roast Monkfish with Asian Spices, Crisp Pancetta and Tiger Prawns'; 'Pan-Fried Calves Liver with Mash, Alsace Bacon and Balsamic Sauce' or 'Ricotta and Spinach Lasagne with Tomato Compote and Basil' to follow.
To finish, 'Baked Bitter Chocolate with Raspberry Compote'; 'Salted Caramel Tart with Praline Cream & Orange Sorbet'; 'Apple Tatin with Apple Yoghurt Wafers' or their selection of British farmhouse cheeses might tempt you.
There are comfortable bedrooms available, if you wish to stay overnight.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Mon-Sat 12.00-14.30; Sun & Bank Holidays 13.00-19.30; set L Mon-Sat from £14 (2 courses); mains about £14 to £28 - plus Bar Menu; set L Sun £25
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 18.00-21.30; Sun & Bank Holidays Mon 13.00-19.30; Early Bird set D from £17.50 to £20; mains about £14 to £28; Tasting Menu's from £35 to £55
- Seats: 50, plus 60 outside
- Wine: a mainly French list has modest mark ups
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, including lavatory
- Nearest station: Oldham Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page - off the A669 between Oldham and Saddleworth Moor.
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: check Christmas openings
- Outside eating
- Rooms available