Find this grand gothic house overlooking the wooded valley of Jesmond Dene.
Originally dating from the 1820’s, when it was the home of Lord Armstrong, it now houses both a comfortable hotel & excellent restaurant – one of the best in the area.
The two dining areas are formal – the old music room, with delicate plasterwork; and an airy conservatory – but both share the same seasonal menu. Local fish and seasonal game figure prominently; and provenance to the main ingredients are shown throughout.
The kitchen, under the leadership of Michael Penaluna, uses carefully sourced seasonal ingredients – and many of these are given provenance on their menu’s.
During the evening and autumn menu brought the likes of 'Vegetable Salad with Fresh Herbs, Black Truffle' with a Sorrel Emulsion’; 'Hand-Dived Scallops with Crispy Pork Belly, Puy Lentils & Pedro Ximenez' and 'Creel-Caught Langoustines with Artichoke Bavarois, Roasted Chestnuts & Apple' amongst the starters.
Perhaps 'Wild Turbot with Mussels, Young Leeks, Black Truffle & Heritage Potatoes’ ; 'Tim Oliver’s Belted Galloway Beef Fillet with Bone Marrow & Parsley Crust, Beetroots & Swiss Chard’; ‘Pecorino Mille Feuille with Carrot & Lavender Purée, Fresh Vegeables & Chaterelles’ and 'Local Partridge Breast & Confit Leg, with Sweetcorn, Caramelised Onion & Bitter Peanut Praline' to follow.
Finish with 'Chocolate Sponge with Griottine Cherries & Yoghurt Ice Cream'; 'Roast Plum Sablé Breton with Szechuan Pepper Espuma & Vanilla Ice Cream' or their excellent selection of local and French cheeses.
Professional but friendly service.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.00 (Sun 12.0-17.00); mains about £16 to £32
- Dinner: all week 19.00-22.30; mains about £16 to £32
- Seats: 80, plus 30 outside
- Wine: an excellent list kicks off at around the £18 mark, and includes a good selection by the glass
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, including lavatory
- Nearest station: Metro Ilford Road; Rail Newcastle Central
- Directions: See the map on this page.
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: check Christmas openings
- Outside eating
- Rooms available