Named after the high-quality butcher that once occupied these premises, this bar/restaurant offers top-quality food on a traditional British theme - with the odd modern twist.
While the menu follows the seasons, starters such as 'Cream of Mushroom Soup with Parmesan Croûtons'; 'Welsh Rarebit' (q.v.) and 'Smoked Chicken, Bacon & New Potato Salad with Herb Oil' set the style.
Perhaps to be followed by 'Artichoke, Roasted Red Pepper & Mozzarella Salad'; 'Chicken Caesar Salad'; 'Bavette Steak with Chips & Horseradish' and 'Barbary Duck Breast, Gorgonzola, Toasted Hazelnuts & Polenta Chips'. Fish and shellfish figures prominently.
If you have room, you might be tempted by 'Dark Chocolate Terrine with Orange Caramel'; 'Mango Fool, Coconut Sorbet & Shortbread' or their selection of British farmhouse cheeses.
Expect quite loud Soul or Disco music on Friday nights. Their traditional Sunday lunches are particularly popular.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Mon-Fri 12.00-15.00, Sat & Sun 12.00-16.00; set L £12.50 (2 courses), £16.00 (3 courses); mains from about £10 to £22
- Dinner: Mon-Weds 18.00-21.45, Thurs-Sat 18.00-22.15; mains from about £10 to £22
- Seats: 60, plus 20 outside
- Wine: a concise, but well-thought-out list, concentrates on mid-priced quality & kicks off at around £17
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Parking: Street parking
- Closed: D Sun, most Bank Holidays
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating