A good restaurant with rooms for those loving seafood, but more particularly fish often cooked in a Pan-Asian or Caribbean manner.
The premises started life as a private house, and featured in the first episode of BBC 2's 'Restaurant in Your Home'. The dining room is minimalist in style, resembling an airy café; there is just one sitting, and the menu offers no choice until the dessert stage. So very different from most restaurants.
You can, however, contact the proprietors giving plenty of notice - and they'll try and accommodate your wishes if possible.
Typical starters might be 'Crab Cakes with Sweet and Sour Cucumber Ribbons on a Scallop Ceviche'; 'Celeriac, Bramley Apple and Cardamom Soup; 'Carpaccio of Marinated Fresh Salmon with Dill and Pink Peppercorns and Salmon Caviar' or 'Fresh Poached and Smoked Salmon Mousse with Rose Wine Jelly'.
Maybe to be followed by 'Tepan-Grilled, Cajun-Spiced Swordfish on a Orzo, Pine Nut and Basil Salad with Mediterranean Roasted Vegetables'; 'Indian-Spiced Halibut, Baked in Tamarind and Coconut with Saffron and Cardamom Basmati Rice' or 'Fillet of Dover Sole Baked in a Spicy Kaffir Lime and Coconut Marinade with Black Rice, Pak Choi and Oyster Mushrooms'.
Finish with 'Chardonnay Pear and Polenta Cake with a Citrus Pear Sauce and Crème Fraiche'; 'Bitter Chocolate Mocha Truffle Torte with Seasonal Berries' or 'Brioche and Butter Pudding with Coconut and Rum-Soaked Raisins'.
You can watch your food being prepared in the open plan kitchen.
- Food Style: Seafood
- Lunch: Closed; but open by Arrangement
- Dinner: all week; £52.50 (4 courses)
- Seats: 20, plus about 12 outside
- Wine: a concise list, justifiably concentrates on whites, and kicks off at around the £20 mark
- Children's portions: No children under 16
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Thetford Rail
- Directions: See the map at the top of this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: L all week; 25th & 26th Dec.
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating
- Rooms available