Find this traditional pub in an almost perfect Cotswold setting opposite the village church. As well as their good food, comfortable bedrooms – some in a modern extension – make this an ideal base for exploring the area.
On the food front, the kitchen under the direction of chef/proprietor Nick Deverell-Smith, offers a menu that follows the seasons - starters such as ‘Chicken Livers on Toast with Cider Onions’; ‘Celeriac Soup with Poached Apples’; ‘Smoked Haddock Soufflé with Chive Velouté’ and ‘Cured Salmon with Grain Mustard Mousse & Pickled Vegetables’ set the style of an autumn menu.
Perhaps to be followed by ‘Todenham Breast of Mallard with Confit Leg, Local Broccoli & Savoy Cabbage’; ‘Calf’s Liver with Confit Bacon, Cider Onions & Mash’; ‘Pork T Bone with Apple, Sage & Mash’ and ‘Cornish Crab Spaghetti with Chili & Parsley’.
If you have room, you might be tempted by ‘Dark & White Chocolate Mousses with Hazelnut Cake & Blackberries’ or ‘Sticky Toffee Pudding with Salted Caramel Ice Cream & Toffee Sauce’.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.00; set L £21.50 (3 courses); mains about £15 to £26
- Dinner: all week 19.00-21.00; mains about £15 to £26
- Seats: 60, plus 40 outside
- Wine: a concise list kicks off around the £20 mark
- Children's portions: Short Children's Menu
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Moreton-in-Marsh
- Directions: 2 miles east of Chipping Campden. See the map on this page.
- Parking: Street parking
- Closed: check Christmas openings
- Outside eating
- Rooms available