Although now very much food oriented, this is still a village 'local'; but the 300 year old building has been partially modernised on the inside without taking away too much of the original character. You'll still find heavy beans and a flagstone floor, but the tables are now heavy and modern in style and what was once the skittle alley is now part of the dining area.
There was a change of hand here, early in 2010, but initial reports are positive under the enthusiastic new owners.
The kitchen produces a daily-changing menu containing many locally items, and seasonal local game and seafood from the south coast is much to the fore.
A late summer menu listed 'Fresh Fig, Goats Curd & Toasted Walnut Salad with Honey Vinaigrette'; 'Char-Grilled Pigeon with a Pancetta & Apple Salad'; 'Ham Hock Terrine with Piccalilli & Toasted Sour Dough' and 'Grilled Mackerel with New Potato Salad and Pear & Celeriac Rémoulade' among the starters.
'Butts Farm Bavette Steak with Hand-Cut Chips, Slow-Roasted Tomato & Tarragon Butter'; 'Real-Ale-Battered Fish of the Day with Hand-Cut Chips, Mushy Peas & Tartare Sauce'; 'Lamb Shoulder Hot Pot with New Potatoes, Baby Carrots & Green Beans' and 'Duck Breast with Boulangere Potato, Baby Vegetables, Cherries & Jus' among the mains.
If you have room finish with 'Lemon Posset with Chantilly Cream & Fresh Raspberries'; 'Ginger Brulée with Rhubarb Compote'; 'Chocolate Fondant with Vanilla Ice Cream & Fruit Coulis' or their selection of local Artisan Cheeses'.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.00; set L Mon-Fri £12.50 (2 courses), £14.50 (3 courses); set L Sun £15.50 (2 courses), £18.50 (3 courses); Mains about £11 to £20
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 19.00-21.00; mains about £11 to £20
- Seats: 50
- Wine: an interesting list, travels the world, and has modest mark-ups
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, including lavatory
- Directions: See the map on this page - or the village is on the A417 between Cirencester and Fairford.
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: D Sun; check Christmas openings