Find this excellent restaurant on the first floor of Olga Poluzzi's luxurious boutique hotel. It commands stunning sea views (particularly from its outside terraces), the dining room, itself, having a cool Mediterranean feel.
Talented chef Paul Wadham offers a menu of simply-constructed dishes - each allowing its top-quality ingredients to shine through - unhindered by unnecessary flavourings. Local seafood figures prominently.
So expect the likes of 'Langoustine Tails with Little Gem lettuce, spring onions, tomato and avocado'; 'Roast Cherry Tomato and Basil Soup' and 'Foie Gras of Ham Hock with Toasted Brioche' among the starters.
Perhaps ' Calenick Beef Sirloin with Yorkshire Pudding, Savoy Cabbage, Carrots and Fondant Potato'; 'Wild Mushroom Risotto with Fresh Parmesan' and 'Herb-Crusted Brill with Mussels and Mashed Potatoes' among the mains.
To finish, there are desserts such as 'Dark Chocolate Mousse with Passion Fruit Sorbet' and 'Burnt English Custard (crème brulée) with Shortbread and Raspberries' - or you might be tempted by their excellent selection of West Country farmhouse cheeses.
- Food Style: Modern European
- Lunch: all week, 12.30-14.30; set L Mon-Sat from £23 (2 courses & glass of wine); mains about £20 to £26; a snack lunch is also available; set L Sun £28; mains £22 to £24
- Dinner: all week, 19.00-21.30; mains about £20 to £26
- Seats: 60, plus 60 outside
- Wine: an interesting list concentrates on France and Italy and kicks off at around the £20 mark, rising steeply after that
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: With difficulty, please enquire
- Nearest station: St. Austell Rail
- Directions: On the seafront 200 yards/metres from the castle - see the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: check Christmas openings; 2 weeks in January
- Outside eating
- Rooms available