Find this comfortable conservatory restaurant set in this excellent country-house hotel, converted some years ago from a farmhouse.
Chef Michael Croft is surrounded by top-quality suppliers and has nurtured these into supplying him with food thats to a large part organic.
As would be expected, the menu closely follows the seasons and includes some expensive ingredients which keeps the prices firm. So you might begin with the likes of Watercress Soup with Truffle Brioche and a Poached Hens Egg; Calcot-cured organic Duchy Bresaola; Pumpkin Ravioli and Sautéed Wild Mushrooms or Diver-caught Scallops with Truffled Cauliflower and Pressed Leek and Potato.
Perhaps to be followed by Slow Braised and Roasted Duchy Lamb; Honey Roast Pork Belly with Seared Scallop with Pumpkin Purée and Green Mustard Gnocchi or Poached Sea Trout with Sorrel Linguine and Char-Grilled Courgette with Lemon Butter. Local game is featured when in season.
If you have room, finish with Liquorice Crème Brulée with Blackberry Sorbet; Warm Rhubarb Tartlet with Cardamom Pannacotta or their selection of British Farmhouse Cheeses.
Theres a hotel pub which offers cheaper options (such as Bangers & Mash), suitable for the family.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: all week, 12.00-14.00; set L £19 (2 courses), £23 (3 courses)
- Dinner: all week, 19.00-21.30; mains £16.95 to £30
- Seats: 100, plus 20 outside
- Wine: a good list kicks off at just under £20
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, including lavatory
- Nearest station: Kemble
- Directions: on A4135 west of Tetbury. See the map at the top of the page.
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: check Christmas openings
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating