A high-class Chinese restaurant with striking décor, including black lacquered walls, gold and silver inlaid murals and spotlights. The style is Cantonese, with seafood and dim sum among the specialities, the latter (served until 17.00) possibly (along with the other branches of Royal China) the best in London.
Seafood favourites include Steamed Sea Bass with Black Bean Sauce and Seafood Hotpot (Lobster is prepared in six different ways); the menu takes some studying - meat favourites include Hot and Spicy Veal and Chicken with Bean Curd, and Stewed Belly Pork with Vegetables.
Vegetarians have a tremendous selection of perfectly-cooked offerings. Service is efficient and generally more smiling than often than seen in some lesser Chinese establishments.
Sunday, as mentioned, brings some of London's best dim sum (a Chinese tradition) but brings long queues - so beware, and area very early!
Branches at 13 Queensway, W2; 68 Grove Road NW8 & 30 West Ferry Circus E14
- Food Style: Chinese
- Lunch: Mon-Thurs 12.00-23.00; Fri & Sat 12.00-2.30; Sun 11.00-22.00; mains about £11 to £50; set L from £30
- Dinner: Mon-Thurs 12.00-23.00; Fri & Sat 12.00-2.30; Sun 11.00-22.00; mains about £11 to £50; set D from £30
- Wine: a good list kicks off at £18
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Baker Street or Bond Street Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Street parking
- Closed: some Bank Holidays
- Air conditioned