A large, canteen-style restaurant, with plastic table cloths. Prices reflect the surroundings and are suitably modest.
But don't let this allay you about the quality of the food on offer. If you seek delicious North-Chinese-style dumplings - a cross between spring rolls and samosa's - this might be just the place for you. These are a staple food of the area, where wheat predominates, as the climate is too cold to grow rice on a vast scale.
Dumplings are offered either boiled or fried on one side (see photograph) - some coming with the added challenge of you having to mix your own dipping sauce with the soy sauce, Chinese vinegar, chili and mashed garlic provided.
Fillings include the likes of 'Pork & Coriander'; 'Pork & Prawn' and 'Beef & Turnip' plus many more. But there are other delicious offerings such as Seasoned Chicken Wings; Tofu (bean curd) with Sesame Oil and Coriander' plus a few Rice and Noodle dishes.
A take away service operates.
- Food Style: Chinese
- Lunch: Tues-Fri, 12.00-14.00; mains around £5
- Dinner: Tues-Sun 17.30-22.30; mains around £5
- Children's portions: Yes, special children's sized dumplings
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but no lavatory
- Directions: at the Haymarket end of Morrison Street. See the map at the top of the page
- Parking: Street parking
- Closed: some Bank Holidays