It would be hard to beat the position of this fish restaurant, owned by celebrity chef Mark Hix whose standards are high. If you can secure a window table, you'll have uninterrupted views of Lyme Bay and the fishing port.
The kitchen's style is simplicity, allowing natural flavours to shine through. So expect Mussels, Oysters and seasonal Prawns among the starters.
The catch of the day, from the local day boats, among the mains. They have first-class steaks and lamb (often from Blackface q.v.) for dedicated carnivores.
Desserts are traditional in style with their seasonal 'Rhubarb Trifle' having more than one recommendation.
There have been some complaints that tables are too tightly packed for the firm prices asked and that service has been slow and sloppy, but are sure that Mr. Hix will soon sort out the latter problem. Unfortunately on the price stakes, the price of top-quality fish is high.
- Food Style: Seafood
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.30 (15.00 Fri-Sun); set L Tues-Fri £17 (2 courses) to £21; mains about £15 to £22
- Dinner: all week 18.00-22.00; mains about £15 to £22
- Seats: 45, plus 10 outside
- Wine: a well-chosen, predominantly-white, list kicks off in the early £20's
- Children's portions: Interesting Children's Menu
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: Mon between Oct & end of May, 25th & 26th Dec.
- Outside eating