Chaula's has moved from its small take-away premises in Station Street to this previously under-used but historic building, close to the entrance of Waitrose.
They now describe themselves as a 'One Stop Food Bar' and for lovers of Indian food this is almost an understatement.
Here we concentrate on the café/restaurant, but there's also a take-away section, selling their pre-packed chilled and frozen meals, plus a area selling grocery items.
The dining room offers an extensive menu of modestly priced dishes and by and large, these are much more authentic than those found in the majority of British restaurants and take away's - and are based on those of Chaula Patel's home region of Gujarati. So expect the likes of 'Vegetable Samosas'; 'Chicken Tikka' and 'Fish Bhajia' among the starters.
'Hydrabadi Chicken'; 'Lamb Lucknovi'; 'Shaami Prawns' and an extensive Vegetarian selection among the mains.
While there's a short wine list, you might be tempted by their selection of Lassi's and Fruit Shakes. The menu clearly signals the heat of each dish, those which are wheat free plus those for vegans.
On the flavour front, their Buffet Lunch is an absolute bargain, but don't expect frills.
- Food Style: Indian
- Lunch: Mon-Thurs 10.00-15.00, Fri & Sat 11.00-23.00; mains £3.50-£5.75 - Buffet set L £4.99
- Dinner: Mon-Thurs 17.00-23.00, Fri & Sat 11.00-23.00; mains £3.50-£5.75
- Wine: a short but adequate list has modest mark-ups
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Lewes
- Directions: Opposite the Bus Station and close to the entrance of Waitrose - see the map at the top of the page.
- Parking: Street parking or NCP
- Closed: some Bank Holidays