Find these marvellous bakers, with an excellent café/tea room/restaurant, just opposite the Almeida Theatre. They seemingly combine the best skills and techniques from around the world. So expect the best croissant (made over three days), sour-doughs, Middle Eastern delicacies, plus excellent cakes, tarts and pastries – plus top-class bread and cakes to take away.
They also offer well-cooked main courses, again on a Mediterranean/Middle Eastern theme. They might include dishes such as ‘Smoked Bacon Quiche with Sautéed Leeks, Parmesan & Thyme’; ‘Spinach, Potato & Scamorza Croquettes with Black Olives & Toamato Salsa’ and ‘Seared English Fillet of Beef with Mustard, Horseradish and Rock Sour Cream’ – plus delicious Salads.
They have branches in Kensington and Notting Hill (q.v's). At the time of writing, they don’t take bookings.
- Food Style: Mediterranean
- Lunch: Mon-Sat 8.00-22.30 (cooked breakfast is offered until 12.00), Sun 9.00-19.00; main courses about £13 to £23
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 8.00-22.30; Sun 9.00-19.00; main courses about £13 to £23
- Seats: 48, plus 6 outside
- Wine: a short list kicks off in the mid £20's
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Angel or Highbury & Islington
- Directions: See the map on this page - opposite the Almeida Theatre
- Closed: some Bank Holidays
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating