An excellent place for a romantic meal, if in the Dorchester area.
Chef/proprietor Jamie Jones offers a Modern European menu based on carefully-sourced local produce.
While the menu changes with the market, an early spring menu brought 'Lyme Bay Scallops on Smoked Haddock Ravioli, Leek Purée and Garlic Foam'; 'Double-Baked Dorset Blue Cheese Soufflé' and 'Smoked Salmon Paupiette with Artichoke Purée and Mixed Leaves' among the starters.
'Best End of Tolpuddle Lamb with a Herb Crust and White Bean Cassoulet'; 'John Dory and Glazed Bere Regis Pork Belly with Soft Polenta, Baby Spinach and Tarragon Jus' and 'Local Wild Venison Medalion, on Creamed Brussel Sprouts, Spaetzle and Sloe Gin Sauce' among the mains.
For cheese lovers their selection of Dorset farmhouse cheeses will be tempting. While for those with a sweet tooth, 'Pear and Quince Crumble with Fromage Blanc and Raisin Ice Cream and a Sesame Tuile' or 'Hot Dark Chocolate Cake with a light White Chocolate Mousse' might be too hard to resist.
Lunch is a relaxed affair - with various well-put-together platers - such as 'Dorset Charcuterie' & 'Dorset & New Forest Cheese Selection'.
If you have the foresight, you can book one of their comfortable bedrooms, to save the worry of the trip home.
- Food Style: Modern European
- Lunch: Tues-Sat 12.00-16.00, platters about £10 ; L Sun set £26
- Dinner: all week; set D £32.50 (2 courses); £37.50 (3 courses)
- Wine: a concise list, includes a few local wines and is modestly priced
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory. Phone ahead.
- Nearest station: Dorchester Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes, adequate
- Closed: some Bank Holidays
- Rooms available