« back to restaurants search results
The WallsWelsh Walls, Ostwestry, Shropshire, SY11 1AW
What was built as a school in 1841, has been transformed from near dereliction by the present owners into an excellent eatery.
While the emphasis is on fun, ingredients have been carefully-sourced and of a good standard, making booking essential, particularly around the weekend.
Starters such as 'Twice-baked Cheese & Thyme Soufflé'; 'All Day Posh Breakfast' (black pudding on bubble & squeak with a poached egg) and 'Crab Cakes with Coriander & Parsley set the style for starters.
Perhaps to be followed by 'Tempura of King Prawns & Scallops with a sweet & hot chilli dipping sauce'; 'Twice-roasted Crispy Duck with Blackberry & Apple Sauce'; 'Fillet of Lemon Sole Cardinale' and various steaks.
Desserts are of the traditional kind, but none the worse for that so expect 'Lemon Tart with Berries'; Chocolate & Baileys Mousse'; 'Sticky Toffee Pudding' and the like.
Sunday lunch brings a carvery, with reduced prices for children, plus piano entertainment.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Mon-Sat 10.00-21.30; set L £12.50 (2 courses); Sun 12.00-15.00 set L £13 (1 course), £16.50 (2 courses), £20 (3 courses); mains £13.50 to £19.50
- Dinner: set D (before 19.30) £17.50 (2 courses); mains £13.50 to £19.50
- Wine: a lengthy list, kicks off at £12.50, and travels the world
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: D Sun; some Bank Holidays