This popular 'local', serving good hand-pulled beers has an ambitious kitchen team who produce both good bar food and restaurant meals for their comfortable dining room.
The best local produce has been carefully sourced, and their suppliers are clearly listed on the menu. So while the menus change with the seasons, restaurant starters such as 'Creamed Cauliflower Soup with Gruyere Toasts'; 'Duck Liver Parfait, Apricot & Orange Chutney' and 'Pan seared Scallops, Confit Pork, Onion Purée & Roasting Juices' set the style.
Possible to be followed by 'Smoked Haddock, Leek & Herb Risotto & Crispy Serrano Ham'; 'Five-Spice Roasted Duck with a Vegetable & Saffron Broth'; 'Roast Crown of Partridge with Savoy Cabbage & Confit Bacon'; 'Barnsley Chop, with Lamb's Kidney, Chips & Pan Juices' and 'Herb Gnocchi with Roast Squash, Sage Butter & Parmesan'.
If you have room, you might be tempted by 'Chocolate Brownie with Pistachio Ice Cream' or 'Crème Brulée'.
They were a finalist in the Observer Food Magazine's 'Best Sunday Lunch' category so this meal is particularly popular. The short menu offers the likes of 'Roast Topside of Dexter Beef with Yorkshire Pudding' and 'Slow-Roasted Shearling Mutton with Braised Onions' among the choices.
An interesting lunch bar menu is offered between Monday & Saturday, and has something for everyone, ranging from Sandwiches through Steamed Mussels to Steaks & Chops.
A stay in one of their comfortable bedrooms, would save you the worry of the drive home.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Restaurant, Sun 12.00-14.30, mains from £8.95; bar menu served during the week between 12.00-14.00
- Dinner: Mon-Sat, 18.00-21.30; set D (between 18.00-19.00) £10.95 (2 courses), £13.95 (3 courses); mains £12.95 to £16.95
- Seats: 34
- Wine: an interesting list is modestly-priced, kicking off at £11.95. It includes a few dessert varieties and some prestigious bottles.
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: York
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: D Sun; some Bank Holidays
- Outside eating
- Rooms available