The Winner of The Gourmet Britain "Best Ethnic Restaurant" Award 2012
This excellent North Indian restaurant in the heart of Covent Garden is a branch of India's first tandoori restaurant (opened in Delhi in 1948). The comfortable dining rooms are set over 2 floors - those in the basement having intimate alcoves and a dedicated whisky bar; those on the ground floor, views of the kitchen in operation.
The food is 'new wave' Indian in style, with delicious modern twists on traditional items, largely from the tandoor - the main menu following the Grand Trunk Road from Bengal to Pakistan's North-West Frontier - dishes being 'labelled' as fron specific areas.
Their lunchtime Tiffin set meal, offers a choice of five dishes, and is a good introduction & includes a glass of beer, or other drink.
Expect the likes of 'Crisp fried Shitake, Baby Corn and Asparagus'; 'Scallops seared with Onion Seed and Coriander Stem, and a Tamarind glaze, and Pan-fried Devon Crab Cakes' and 'Stir-fried South Indian Chicken, baked in a bun, with Masala Quail Egg Omelette' among the starters.
Perhaps to be followed by 'Baked Cauliflower with home-ground Spices, Tandoori Broccoli with Cream Cheese, Mace and Cardamom'; 'Braised Lambs Shanks, glazed in the Tandoor, Tomato and Green Pea Upma, and an Orange and Mustard Cress Salad' or 'Lobster with Raw Mango, Crushed Pepper Corns, Red Onion and Malabar Spices with Saffron and Cardamom'.
Even desserts are more tempting than those usually found in Indian restaurants with maybe 'Custard Apple Kulfi, with Summer Berry Soup' and 'Steamed Milk Chocolate and Orange Momo, with Sloe Berry and Gin Ice Cream and a Tandoori Strawberry.
Service is both professional and friendly, but you have to watch not to be persuaded into spending more than you intend.
- Food Style: Indian
- Lunch: Mon-Sat 12.00-15.00; set L Tiffin meal £15 (choice of 5 dishes); mains about £21 to £28; set L £23 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 18.00-24.00; set Kebab Menu Mon-Thurs 17.30-22.30 & Fri plus Sat 17.30-18.45 & 22.00-23.00 £19; Tasting Menu's from £43; mains about £21 to £28
- Seats: 85
- Wine: a well-thought-out list, kicking off in the high £20's, is backed up by good Indian lager-type beers, perhaps more suitable for the food on offer.
- Wheelchair access: ground floor only, not lavatory
- Nearest station: Covent Garden or Holborn Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Street parking
- Closed: all Sun; some Bank Holidays
- Air conditioned