Find this excellent restaurant in the comfortable Apex City of London Hotel - see our 'Accommodation' section. Not many London hotel's have managed to create destination restaurants, but the proprietors have certainly achieved their aims here.
The modern décor and furniture mean that most of the ambiance has to be created by customers, but the dining room always seems to be busy, so there's always a buzz. The subdued lighting and private leather-clad booths are also ideal for business discussions.
The kitche offers a menu of dishes with bold flavours, although there are vegetarian options and simple dishes for the less adventurous. But starters such as 'Curried Mussel Soup'; 'Ravioli of Black Pudding, Celeriac, Chestnuts and Lardons' and 'Caramelised Onion Tart, with Rocket and Parmesan' set the style.
Perhaps to be followed by 'Diver-caught Scallops, with Spiced Lentils and Butternut Squash'; 'Confit of Pork Shoulder, Morteau Sausage and Potato Purée'; 'Cannon of Lamb, with seasonal vegetables and Jerusalem Artichokes Lyonnaise' - or perhaps a good burger, for someone with less ambitious tastes.
If you have room, you might be tempted by 'Fennel Sponge with Coffee Brulée and Fennel Mousse'; 'Poached Plum, Granola and Allspice Ice Cream' or their selection of British farmhouse cheeses.
Service is both friendly and professional.
For more details of the 'Apex City of London' hotel, see our 'Accommodation section.
- Food Style: Modern European
- Lunch: Mon-Fri 12.00-14.30; set L £15.95 (2 courses), £19.50 (3 courses) mains from about £15 to £24
- Dinner: Mon-Fri 18.00-21.30; set D £15.95 (2 courses), £19.50 (3 courses); mains from about £15 to £24
- Seats: 60
- Wine: a concise, but well-thought-out, list kicks off at about the £20 mark, plus a god selection by the glass
- Children's portions: Yes when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, including lavatory
- Nearest station: Tower Hill Underground / Fenchurch Street Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Street parking; ask for advice
- Closed: all Sat & Sun; Bank Holidays; 22nd Dec to 3rd Jan
- Air conditioned
- Rooms available