Find this comfortable, family-run, hotel/destination restaurant, near the Devon/Cornwall border. Although a building on this site was listed in the Domesday Book, most of the existing building dates from the 17th century - and is Grade II listed.
The comfortable and intimate dining room expands into a light and airy conservatory.
Chef/proprietor Steve Morey offers a menu based around the excellent produce of the region, and while there are a few Mediterranean influences, the top-quality local ingredients are largely allowed to speak for themselves.
Although the menus are seasonal, a late summer visit might offer 'Chilled Cornish Goats Cheese Mousse, with iced Grapes and Celeriac Salad, with Sesame and Parmesan Biscuits and Spiced Figs'; and 'Tempura of Lemon Sole with Caper and Brown Shrimp Salad and fresh Herb Mayonnaise' among the starters - and this sets the style.
Perhaps to be followed by 'Breast of Guinea Fowl with Pancetta, Baby Onions, Wild Mushrooms and Lentils with a Madeira and Sherry Sauce'; 'Parmesan-crusted Monkfish Tail and Tiger Prawns with Olives, Sun-Blush Tomatoes and Soft Green Herbs' or 'Chump of Lamb with Rosemary and Redcurrant Jus'.
If you still have room, you might be tempted by Chocolate Bread and Butter Pudding with Poached Cherries and Drambuie Ice Cream'; 'Hot Banana Soufflé with Rum and Raisin Ice Cream' or their selection of West Country Farm House Cheeses with home-made bread and biscuits.
Service is both professional and friendly.
If you plan ahead, you can stay overnight in one of their comfortable bedrooms - and not have to worry about your trip home.
No children of under twelve years of age.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Thurs-Sun 12.00-14.00; mains about £11 to £17; set L Sun £28 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Weds-Sun; set D £35 (2 courses), £40 (3 courses)
- Seats: 28
- Wine: a concise, but well-thought-out list is based around France, has modest mark-ups
- Children's portions: No children under 12
- Wheelchair access: Yes, including lavatory
- Nearest station: Gunnislake Rail (17 miles)
- Directions: See map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: L Mon & Weds; D Mon & Tues, 2 weeks in Jan
- Rooms available