Although still firmly a village local, this 18th century pub has also become a destination restaurant, specialising in the excellent local seafood. You can eat in the bar, outside in their pleasant garden or terrace (with views of Start Bay), or more comfortably in their beamed dining room.
The cooking varies in style from the traditional to the shores of the Mediterranean, but seafood is a main event.
So expect the likes of 'Soft Herring Roes on Toast with Bacon, Capers and Nut Brown Butter'; 'Seafood Platter -Lyme Bay Scallops, Salcombe Crab Pot & Pan-Fried Tiger Prawns'; 'Deep=Fried Somerset Brie in Panko Breadcrumbs with Cumberland Sauce' and 'Carpaccio of local Beef, cracked Black Pepper with Strawberry Gazpacho' among the starters.
Maybe to be followed by 'Pan-fried Skate Wing 'au poivre' with a Red Wine reduction'; 'Wild Gilthead Bream with Candied Peel, Spicy Couscous and Burnt Orange Drizzle'; 'Breast of local organic Duck, braised Savoy Cabbage, Crème de Cassis reduction' and 'South Devon Ribeye Steak with Portobello Mushroom, hand-cut Chips and Café de Paris Butter'.
A network of locals keep them supplied with seasonal game and wild rabbits, and these figure prominently when they are available.
If you have room, perhaps try their excellent 'Prune and Armagnac Tart' (a marriage made in heaven); 'Hot Chocolate Fondant, Clotted Cream and Strawberry Mousse' ; 'Saffron Pannacotta with Warm Spiced Fruit Compote' or their small selection of West Country farm-house cheeses, in peak condition.
Booking is essential for Dinner & lunch on Sunday.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Mon-Sat 12.00-15.00; Sun 12.00-21.00; mains about £8 to £25
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 18.00-21.30, Sun 12.00-21.00; mains about £10 to £25
- Seats: 30, plus 30 outside
- Wine: a well-thought-out list, skims the world quite comprehensively, and has fair mark-ups
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Totnes Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: D Sun, all Mon, last week Jan.
- Outside eating