A good neighbourhood restaurant run by the Pestell family, with Douglas at the stoves and Elizabeth organising front of house.
The cooking style is based on French classical, but has influences from both further south and nearer to home full use being made of the top-quality local ingredients available.
So expect the likes of 'Spicy Parsnip and Coconut Soup'; 'Denhay air-dried Ham, Roasted Figs, Buffalo Mozzarella and Mixed Leaves' and 'Moules Marinière' among the staters.
Perhaps 'Herb-crusted Pork Medallions, with slow-roast Belly, Black Pudding, Caramelised Apples and Cider Jus'; 'Fillet of Sea Bass and Monkfish with Chive Potato Cake' and 'Breast of Guinea Fowl, filled with Chicken and Herb Mousse, Confit of Leg, Wild Mushroom and Parmesan Risotto, Bacon and Red Wine Sauce' among the mains.
If you still have room, you might be tempted by 'Apple and Walnut Crumble'; 'Poached Pear with Mulled Wine Jelly and Vanilla Ice Cream'; 'Chocolate Truffle Torte with Rum and Raisin Ice Cream' or their selection of West Country farmhouse cheeses.
- Food Style: Modern European
- Dinner: Tues-Sat 19.00-21.30; set D £33.95 (2 courses), £39.95 (3 courses)
- Seats: 30
- Wine: a well-thought-out list that covers the world, also has a few local wines, and has fair mark-ups
- Nearest station: Topsham Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Street Parking
- Closed: L all week; D Sun & Mon, some Bank Holidays