This hotel restaurant offers both superb views over Mounts Bay and an ambitious menu of carefully-prepared local produce. It's under the ownership of 'Eatdrinksleep' who also run the successful Felin Fach Griffin in Wales and the Gurnard's Head in Treen - and those high standards seem to have been maitained.
If the weather allows - try to secure a terrace table.
Depending on the season, the menu brings the likes of 'Grilled Whole Mackerel with Garlic, Lemon & Parsley'; 'Gazpacho with Crab & Basil'; 'Warm Runner Bean & Pickled Mushroom Salad with Poached Egg' and 'Slow-Roast Pork Belly with Greengage Compote' among the starters.
Mains perhaps 'Tagliatelle with Rocket, Chili, Lemon & Olive Oil'; 'Baked Aubergine with Ricotta, Basil & Tomato'; 'Bouillabaisse with Gurnard, Pollack and Mussels' and 'Roast Chicken with Pancetta, Mushrooms, Tomato & Tarragon'.
Desserts are too good to miss, with maybe 'Chocolate Mousse with Orange Zest & Sable Biscuit' and 'Warm Poached Pear with Clotted Cream Ice Cream' there to tempt you.
If you plan ahead, you can stay in one of their comfortable bedrooms.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: all week 12.30-14.00; mains about £13 to £20; set L Mon-Sat £16.50 (2 courses), £19.50 (3 courses)
- Dinner: all week 18.30-21.00; mains about £13 to £20; set D Mon-Fri from £18.50 (2 courses)
- Seats: 80, plus about 40 outside
- Wine: a well-thought-out list offers fair value for the quality offered.
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible. Plus a short children's menu
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Penzance Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: 24th & 25th Dec, plus a few days early January
- Outside eating
- Rooms available