This good restaurant with rooms is housed in a former girls' boarding house, and is a popular place for that special occasion.
Cooking standards are high, and much effort goes into saucing.
While the menu changes with the seasons, starters such as 'Pan-fried Veal Sweetbreads on Caramelised Red Onions, with a Green Peppercorn Sauce'; 'Pan-fried Scallops and Parma Ham on a Salad of Fresh Asparagus, Mange Tout and Baby Spinach with a Pine Nut and Grain Mustard Dressing' and 'Mixed Green Salad with Croûtons and Garlic Dressing' set the style.
Mains might include 'Grilled Fillets of Dover Sole with a Dill Sauce'; 'Pan-fried Saddle of Dorset Lamb with Ratatouille and a Rosemary Sauce' and 'Char-grilled Saddle of Wiltshire Seka Venison with Blueberries, Pears and Shallots and a Red Wine Sauce' there's always an interesting vegetarian option.
Desserts are a strong point, and might be too tempting to resist with possibly 'Rich Coffee and Chocolate Pot with Coconut Biscuits'; 'Hot Praline Soufflé with Pecan Nut Ice Cream and a Hot Chocolate Sauce' or 'Two Parfaits of Lemon and Lime, with Fresh Raspberries and Pineapple Purée on offer.
To round off a special day, an overnight stay in one of their comfortable bedrooms is thoroughly recommended.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Weds-Sun 12.00-13.30; mains about £18.50
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 19.00-21.00; set D £29 (2 courses), £36 (3 courses)
- Seats: 45
- Wine: a good list, kicking off at around the £18 mark, travels the world, and contains some prestigious bottles
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: please enquire
- Nearest station: Gillingham Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes, 10 places
- Closed: D Sun; L Mon & Tues
- Rooms available