This inn, partly dating from the 17th century, and said to be a former haunt of the huntsman John Peel, is almost all things to all people.
As well as being the village 'local' offering real ales and sandwiches etc, there's a 'Bistro', smarter evening 'Fells Restaurant' - plus comfortable rooms for that overnight stay.
Food in the restaurant is serious with linen-clad tables &crystal glasses, and perhaps starters such as 'Chicken Liver Parfait with Red Onion Marmalade & Toasted Brioche'; 'Ham Hock & Rabbit Terrine with Apple & Mustard Jelly'; 'Red Mullet with Potato Salad & Sauce Vierge' and 'Chicken Caesar Salad' setting the style on the short carte.
'Pan-Fried Hake with Broccoli, Pickled Cucumber, Chive-Crushed Potatoes & Shellfish Cream Sauce'; 'Slow-Cooked Loin of Hoker Hall Venison with Parsnip Confit, Buttered Cabbage, Thyme Gnocchi & Chocolate-Scented Jus'; 'Fillet of Beef with Fondant Potato, Ratatouille, Braised Onions & Red Wine Sauce' and 'Pan-Fried Duck Breast with Udon Noodles, Pak Choi, Vegetable Salsa and Honey & Soy Dressing'.
The less formal Bistro offers brasserie rather than bistro-style dishes such as 'Fish Cakes with Warm Tartare Hollandaise' and 'Prawn Cocktail - with Chopped Shallots, Basil & Apple' amongst the starters - perhaps 'Fish & Chips'; 'Cumberland Sausages with Mash & Onion Gravy' and '30 day-aged Sirloin Steak - with all the trimmings' on the list of mains.
Puds seem to be shared by both - and might include 'Sticky Toffee Pudding with Vanilla Ice Cream, Boozy Prunes & Sticky Sauce'; 'Lemon Mousse with Rasberry Sorbet & Crème Fraiche' plus a Cheesecake in their number.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Bistro all week 12.00-14.30, Bistro mains about £12 to £20; Fells Restaurant Sun 12.00-13.30; L Sun £18 (2 courses), £22 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Bistro all week 18.00-21.00, Fells Restaurant mains around £20 to £23; Bistro Mains about £12 to £23
- Wine: a well-chosen list, travels the world, kicking off at around the £20 mark
- Children's portions: Children's Menu
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: 25th Dec
- Rooms available